Thursday, April 10, 2014

Public Spaces

Today was the perfect time to become better acquainted with a few of the more familiar public spaces in my city. I live fairly close to downtown, so I took about half an hour this morning to walk down State Street, nodding to friendly pedestrians and cyclists, and thinking about the histories and herstories of each building I leisurely passed.

I took another half an hour to stroll into each of the shops and non-profit organizations lining the Salt Lake City Library's building -- KCPW's Denker's Studio; The Salt Lake Community College Community Writing Center; The Hemingway Cafe; Art on Main; The English Garden; The Library Store; and the new little walk-in hairstyling salon. I told all the workers/owners that I was a volunteer with the Human Rights Campaign, and that we were looking for businesses & organizations to support our Gala Dinner by donating items or services for our Silent Auction. It dawned on me that a "Library Square Exploration" package would be just the thing to auction off, with gift certificates & items from each of these wonderful places!

Before today, I had passed these businesses many times, yet never had I ventured inside any but the Hemingway Cafe, Art on Main, and Library Store. It struck me this morning, that our little community radio station, and the Community Writing Center, are so open to all the public. Anyone can venture in there when they are open, ask about their programs & classes, reach out, and feel a part of this community.

And the Library itself! Always such a beautiful building to visit, a perfect place with plenty of comfortable seating where one can study, borrow a computer, read any book on the shelf, sit in the atrium & soak up the sun, and toss coins making wishes in the water surrounding the plaza. The list goes on and on! There are hilly lawns with public benches, artistic sculptures and statues, a Memorial Garden (where my Grandpa & Grandma Van Dyke's names are engraved on a wall honoring individuals who donated organs when they died), and so many other beautiful places where one can walk around, lay down a blanket to read in the sunshine, bring a picnic, dogs, kids, just to be outside, free to enjoy the fresh air.

These places in our communities are out there -- free for the appreciation of us all! I hope you have taken a morning, afternoon, evening, or weekend lately to visit your local public library and/or a local public park. If not, do try to set aside a day! I think you'll be as amazed as am I at the vast array of resources, amenities, and opportunities for enjoyment that are available in our public spaces.

No comments:

Post a Comment