Monday, April 28, 2014

Good Life

I have found an incredible YouTube Chanel! It's called "UU Music and Songs," by the Davies Memorial Unitarian Universalist Church in Camp Springs, Maryland. The songs and videos here are unbelievably well-made. The one I'm inspired to write about today is a UU version of "A Good Life" by One Republic -- listen here if you're interested.

It appeals to me because this Spring has been a major time of awakening for me ... I turned 29 years old in January of this year, and as I've been coming into these springtime months, I've realized that this is the 30th Springtime that I have been alive. It's rather humbling and inspiring to think back over what has occurred in my life and in the world since 1985.

And it's simply beautiful to appreciate this Spring of 2014 with the perspective that every single year of the past three decades (and, of course, every single year before that) the Springtime has come after the cold winter months.

The cycles that we so often disregard by turning up or down our heaters, layering or peeling off layers of clothing and bedding, and spending so much time inside buildings and cars . . . they are never-ending. Really. All the apocalyptic warnings that societies have propagated and internalized time after repetitive time immemorial . . . not a one of them have "come to pass."

The realities we are facing now are realities that we and our very own ancestors have personally and collectively created. And we personally and collectively have the power to plant the seeds required to continue making our lives and the lives of others genuinely "good."


No comments:

Post a Comment