Saturday, April 12, 2014

Pansies and Finches

Common Pansy or Violet

This morning, as I sat down to breakfast on the deck looking out over our backyard, I watered the lovely golden, purple, fiery orange, and deep-red pansies my mother bought for me a few weeks ago, that I have somehow managed not yet to kill.

I also tried to find the source of an interesting, repetitive birdsong: "Ca-caaw-ca, Ca-caaw-ca!" I trained my eyes to the branches arching over our hilly, wild, grassy yard -- and soon noticed a tiny little grey-and-white bird blending easily into the trees. The song was not his, as I learned when he flew overhead to join a few friends in another tree, calling out to them with a garbled, quiet chuckle.

There are many varieties on birdsong to hear this morning . . . "chit-chit-chit-chit-chit," "t-t-t-t-t-t-t," a sweet, sudden "sstt!" and a celebratory "swt-swt-swt-swt!" So many patterned conversations are happening overhead that I have to wonder just what it is they are communicating to one another. Are they up there wondering, "I hear an unfamiliar chirping this morning, coming from that little blue thing the large, feather-less bird sits with ... "tap-tap-tap-"
House Finch Bird





No comments:

Post a Comment