Sunday, January 24, 2016

Whole30 Day 24

There is one way that family/friends can support your Whole30 that I hadn't thought of before I did this. I thought that the most helpful thing would be to plan potluck meals with friends periodically throughout the month, so we would have events to look forward to, as well as social interaction outside our home. I'm not well-versed enough in all the questions one must ask at restaurants when/if you eat out during your Whole30, so potlucks with supportive friends are the way to go!

When I got through week 2, my Mom asked how it was going, and when I told her I "hadn't cracked," and was still having a great Whole30, she was so impressed that she offered to make me a meal one day this past week! That was so kind of her, because one less meal to prep is always valuable, especially since I've been starting a new part-time job this month. It turned out though, that when we arrived at the day she had planned to bring over a meal, I was feeling completely exhausted and worn out - so I called and asked if she might be willing to help me clean our apartment instead of prepare a meal! She accepted, and spent around 3 hours cleaning with me (and brought my two younger siblings to help, too) and honestly it was the most amazing thing she could possibly have done.

It's intense, keeping up with housecleaning! For anyone, I think that's the case ... there are always more interesting things to do, in my opinion. However, living in a clean space is one of the most relaxing, refreshing feelings on earth. So keeping up on it regularly is ideal, but when I started this year with what felt like a million new things (starting a new semester at the school I teach at - along with all the lesson planning, grading, and project management that comes with that; starting a new part-time job at the City Library, 18 hours a week; preparing and cooking 3 meals every day, and packing some to take wherever I was heading; meditating 10 minutes every evening before bed; trying to find time to exercise 30 minutes every day I wasn't feeling a cold coming on; etc.) I really got behind on that daily upkeep. Dishes and laundry were about all I felt like I could handle - because there are a LOT of dishes to clean when doing the Whole30!

But today, I was able to wake up to cleaned & vacuumed floors, as well as counters, the stove-top, and microwave all ready for more delicious meal prep. It took so much of a weight off my shoulders for the weekend and upcoming week, I just don't know how to thank her enough! So if any of you have an amazing Mom, and you're thinking of doing this Whole30 thing ... you might want to ask if she'd be willing to offer a few hours of housecleaning as a half-way point reward, to give you that extra boost to get you through! I feel so re-energized and excited about cooking (and even cleaning) now that the deep-cleaning stuff has been done ... vacuuming the couches from cat fur, washing walls, dusting, etc.

On the food side of things, this week has gone by really quickly, and I've tended to be so busy with work that I've eaten everything I've made before I could slow down and take a photo. But here is one yummy side that K made, that's been delicious for leftovers as well:

Cauliflower Mash with Slivered Almonds


There have been so many ways I've been enjoying extra veggies in my diet, and another one that's really helped me get through the work days has been this awesome Costco find, Chunky Guacamole (blogger is being difficult and not allowing a photo of this one) . . . delightful little cups that came in a pack of around 10 or 15, but are the perfect serving size for dipping all sorts of chopped veggies. I've been enjoying sandwich bags full of broccoli, celery, carrots, sugar snap peas, and more every day! It's really helped me to cut out a serving or two of fruit, because the veggies are so appealing with this tomato + avocado + onion dip.

Consider yourself fully assured - there really are myriad products and ingredients out there, readily available at your fingertips, with minimal/no processing, all-natural goodness, and no added sugars! Bonus: they are the tastiest.

Ah-ha! And lastly, for the past few days my wedding ring has been fitting slightly looser on my finger. I'm really starting to get hyped up for stepping on the scale at the end of my 30 days. Or 45, if these persistent headaches and sinusitis haven't yet gone away! I've already come this far . . . what's two more weeks? We'll see.


No comments:

Post a Comment