Monday, January 11, 2016

Whole30 Day 11

Turns out my predictions were correct (gratefully) - this Whole30 hasn't been nearly as difficult so far as my last attempt! We are already 1/3 of the way through the month, and it has been going by quickly. Starting in December to clear out non-compliant foods from my kitchen and my diet has honestly made all the difference. I've had plenty of ideas for delicious meal plans (and quick, on-the-go things to bring with me for lunches and when I'm away from home), and haven't been bored of anything I'm eating, because there's been so much healthy variety in my diet this past week.


Chopped-Almonds-and-Parsley over Greens with Almond-and-Coconut-Crusted Crab Cakes topped with Avocado Mayo

It's actually hard to decide whether my favorite meal of the week was the Crab Cakes & Greens, or the Lamb & Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie (with the side of Green Beans & Red Bell Peppers). How amazing is that, not being able to choose which of two amazing dishes was the best in one week? In a typical, pre-Whole30 week, I would be very lucky to have spent the time making even one amazing dish ... it was maybe more like once a month that I would have a really memorable, exciting meal. This whole week has been filled with them!

Sweet Potato & Roasted Lamb Shepherd's Pie with side of Green Beans, Sweet Onions & Red Bell Peppers sautéed in Coconut Oil

The Whole30 does not even feel like a diet. Although, I've never really been on 'a diet,' so I probably wouldn't know what they feel like. I've gone one-two months without things before (one month without dairy, a month & a half without sugar), but have never really calorie-counted or limited my food choices or daily caloric intake. During a few health challenges I've done during the past couple of years, I've tracked my calories in and exercise, but I've never deliberately limited them, trying to lose weight or anything. I've always felt that 'diets' aren't successful because they don't take into account the health of what you are eating ... they seem to be mostly about limiting portions. But it doesn't seem like 'limiting portions of cake or ice cream' is really as healthy a choice as not eating cake or ice cream as often! And I was certainly eating sweet treats very often ... hence the weight I've steadily gained over the past 10 years since my post-high-school metabolism really kicked into (or out of) high gear.

There are a few things I remember about my first Whole30 attempt. One was the food boredom - I got sick of eating the same things over and over again (especially fried eggs in the morning), because I didn't take the time to plan, prepare, experiment with new recipes, and research ideas for how to cook various cuts and types of meat & seafood. This past week, I haven't felt that way at all ... I've always got extra hard-boiled eggs available for on-the-go protein options and a different type of egg for breakfasts, plus I've made the Chicken, Sweet Potato, & Apple Hash a few times which is a super-satisfying 1st meal of the day and, even better, is excellent both hot and cold. I think I had fried eggs twice, so I haven't gotten sick of that yet.

Another thing I remember was this major drop in energy and need for what seemed like way too much sleep ... up to 12 - 14 hours. It really seemed extreme, and very difficult to get done the things I needed to during the days, because I was sleeping so, so much. So I'm happy to report that I haven't had that problem this week at all! In fact, I've been sleeping really well. It hasn't been as difficult to fall asleep (although I'm pretty sure that has more to do with the 10 min. guided meditations before bed that I've been doing, also since the 1st of January, than it does with what foods I'm eating). I could be wrong, though ... it's certainly possible that the healthy foods I'm eating are helping me fall asleep quicker and sleep through the night better. Even better, I've been able to excel at my first week of a new job, working three nights until 9:00 p.m., and still waking up refreshed and on time for my teaching position (for which I leave my house between 5:00 and 6:00 a.m.) twice a week.

The third thing I remember was this awful crankiness ... I'm not usually a cranky or unpleasant person, but I remember feeling really stressed out (about not knowing what/when I was going to eat next, and/or how long it would take to prepare) and irritable most every day. This had to do with feeling exhausted and still having to go about my days like a normal human, of course, but also just felt weird, because I was so down-spirited and crabby. From what I've read now, it seems that my body was crashing from lack of sugar, which was the energy source it was used to surviving on, and hadn't yet switched (noticeably) to burning fat instead.

This time around, I haven't felt the severe lack of energy or the crankiness, so I'm doing much better overall. I have come down with some cold symptoms, but I'd had a flu and a cold during December, so that just seems to be from the time of year and being around other people who are sick, as opposed to how I'm eating. So ironically, one of the things I've been missing most so far has been throat lozenges! I've been enjoying chamomile teas instead, which are also quite soothing to my sore throat.

I have noticed that my clothes have been fitting a bit looser, but haven't noticed any significant changes in my psoriasis, complexion, congestion, or headaches diminishing, which are all reasons I decided to take on the Whole30 challenge. No doctor has ever been able to tell me why my head constantly aches ... perhaps the daily mindfulness meditations will help with that as well, but I'm really hoping that one of these days soon, I'll notice some relief from them. I was guessing that all the added sugars and dairy in my diet would be contributing to the headaches and congestion/sinusitis.

I'll keep you posted on what I learn!

No comments:

Post a Comment